Friday, October 17, 2008

Halloween Crafting



I had made some of these shrunken beet heads years ago with my nephews, and I thought it was about time to make more! Aren't they so creepy? You take fresh beets, carve out holes for the eyes and mouths, and stuff the eye holes with dried beans. Pop them in a low oven for many hours and ta-da shrunken beet heads. I hung them in my dining room on my super creepy branches. This wreath is kinda strange....it came together relatively fast with not much planning. I had a grapevine wreath, added some black feathers, dried safflower blossoms (that I found in the trash at the flower wholesaler) and glued on some moss. A masterpiece! I heart Halloween decorating!

4 comments:

sjbernhisel said...

Awww, I'm so sad! It doesn't even feel like it's Halloween here. The leaves don't change, it doesn't get any colder, and I miss your Halloween decorations, and mom's GIANT pumpkins out front.

Natalie Bernhisel-Robinson said...

Mom also found this creepy witch head in a crystal ball. You push the button and her eyes glow and she speaks in a scary voice. Felix likes it, but Carter is very afraid.

Cynthia said...

I just love the beat heads! Totally awesome idea. Wish I had grown beats this year. Thanks for doing a bridal bouquet for my sis. :) I didn't get to see it though, I'm sure it will be in a vase for Sunday dinner at my parents, I'll see it then.

The Moore's said...

Love the beets!