Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tomato Season


I'm already dreaming of biting into a fresh summer garden tomato. Ohhhh doesn't that sound wonderful? I live on tomatoes all summer long. I eat them sliced with a sprinkling of salt and cracked pepper, doesn't get any better than that. For an even more indulgent feast I drizzle on organic olive and a good aged balsamic. My mouth is watering.....

I've been researching purchasing heirloom tomato varieties this year. I've become somewhat of a freak when it comes to organic and heirloom varieties of food. I'm SO AGAINST gmo's and animals that are grown in horrific conditions. Please watch Food Inc. it will blow your mind and it will change the way you eat and purchase food. I've also been looking to where I can find local grass fed animals that actually spend their days grazing and being happy (I think I've found some). I can't purchase regular beef, chicken and pork anymore. I need to know where that meat is coming from. I've found some cool farms around the country that specialize in heritage chicken & turkey. That's the kind of food all of us should be buying. It's more expensive, but it's SO WORTH IT.

Oh and Costco is now carrying the Kirkland brand of cage free organic eggs. I like that. Well, back to my tomatoes....

I can't wait to get my fingers in the soil and starting planting my heirloom tomato plants. This is one website that seems to have a good selection....

Tasteful Garden

No comments: