Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sour Cream Thyme Rolls


I made these yummy rolls last night. Tasty and easy. I'm not the master bread maker, I swear I can never get my dough to rise very well. The plumped up nice and big. The recipe says it makes 12 rolls, but I think I had enough dough to make 17-18, but I crammed more dough then I should of into just the 12. They were overflowing, still tasted good but not super beautiful. Thanks Martha!

Makes 1 dozen
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus 2 tablespoons melted, plus more for muffin tin and plastic wrap
1/4 ounce active dry yeast
1 cup warm (105 degrees to 110 degrees) water
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
Directions

Lightly butter a standard 12-cup muffin tin, and set aside. Stir together yeast, water, and sugar in a small bowl, and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir until yeast dissolves.
Whisk together flours and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter pieces until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in yeast mixture. Stir in sour cream and thyme until combined.
Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup dough into each cup of muffin tin. Cover with buttered plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and lightly brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Immediately invert and unmold rolls onto a wire rack. Serve warm.

No comments: